Caribou Gear Tarp

Beginner-Mountain Goat Hunting

Well as we all know sadly your chances are slim drawing a tag. Most likely you never hunt them in your life if we play the draw games from the ground floor today. I'd look at WY and ID considering they are totally random draws in the lower 48.
I'd move to Alaska if I wanted to hunt them bad enough while young, spend a while up there and move back possibly in my mind. You could also knock out hunting sheep/brown bear unguided while there.
Understood, thank you for the info!

Like others have said after you’ve spent $ applying for years you could just have purchased a hunt in Alaska. That being said though have you considered a nanny hunt? I know it might be a controversial to some, but the odds are significantly better usually and they live in the same terrain. I can say that my Nanny hunt last year was actually harder than a Billy hunt would have been. I held out for a Nanny with no kid. She measured at 8”. It was an awesome experience so worth the thought at least.

Like others have said after you’ve spent $ applying for years you could just have purchased a hunt in Alaska. That being said though have you considered a nanny hunt? I know it might be a controversial to some, but the odds are significantly better usually and they live in the same terrain. I can say that my Nanny hunt last year was actually harder than a Billy hunt would have been. I held out for a Nanny with no kid. She measured at 8”. It was an awesome experience so worth the thought at least.
Understood! Thank you for the info!!

Wasn't there about goat hunting involving a road closure, shredding a several hundred dollar tent, questioning everything about the hunt? I highly recommend reading that thread if you find it. Pretty entertaining lots of pep talks.

Wasn't there about goat hunting involving a road closure, shredding a several hundred dollar tent, questioning everything about the hunt? I highly recommend reading that thread if you find it. Pretty entertaining lots of pep talks.
Understood, thanks!!

Just out of curiosity......how are your tent shanking skills??? Too soon?? Lol anyway good luck give it hell while your body is still able!!!

Goat hunting used to be relatively easy hunt in S.E. Alaska. In 1980/90s. Fly back into a good area, pick one and over........ Nowadays it is waaay more physically demanding, last hunt we spent 7hrs climbing 1st day; just to get to them, in some of them toughest, steepest country imaginable. Not for the faint of heart in SE anymore......

If you want to go on a goat hunt, just put in anywhere you can and hope you get lucky. While success rates to draw a tag are low, you might just get lucky. I drew a mountain goat tag this year with 1 bonus point. That is certainly not the norm, but the possibility of it happening for you is there.

I opted to take the "apply every year" route just because a goat hunt sounded intriguing. After 16 years of applying in Montana I was successful for 2024 as a NR, there were only 16 total NR tags this year. I have no experience to share, yet, but I felt I was getting old enough to seriously consider hanging up the gun. With numerous elk hunts under my belt, I've told the less committed hunters that I've tried to share my passion with that it's not a bad idea to save your money and do one good hunt if you want a trophy, otherwise be patient in the draws and find other hunts to create memories with family and friends. But it is possible for luck to find us, ironically after applying for a Utah bull elk tag for 19 years in an area equally hard for a NR to draw I was also successful in the 2024 draw there. Not sure what those odds of drawing 2 low percentage tags is but know it was pure luck. I'm just an average "Joe" that has enjoyed my time outdoors and this was my year to get "tag" lucky I guess.

Well congrats on your luck this year Bornizr! You certainly have tons of patience...... Hope both hunts turn out to fulfill all your dreams you waited so long for...
E

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back