Caribou Gear

The Rinella Effect

I posted this a couple of year back. Randy's shows have the same effect as Rinella...

I also greatly appreciate all the Randy does. But anyone that thinks his videos, podcasts, promotions, social media, etc. don't have a negative impact on hunting crowding in specific areas and decreased draw odds in units that he has been and filmed is fooling themselves.

I was just curious, so I looked up the stats from his Mountain Goat hunt/unit that he videoed and podcasted numerous times about in 2021.

Resident First Choice applicants: 2017-2021, 5-year average : 112 applicants
2022 : 223 applicants

Double the number of applicants in a special draw unit in 1-year after he was there.
I've always been amazed how lucky (collectively) an extremely small group of video content producers have been in drawing some of the most difficult the tags in which to produce content. A hand full of people at best, producing videos that have drawn multiple Elk, Moose, Sheep as well as Goat and Buffalo tags. Meat eater, Fresh Tracks, Into the High Country and throw NR Eastmans in there two. I guess if you're firm believer coincidence.

If steve hadnt done the buffer episode - do those apps get tossed to other high interest areas?

I find it comical there is legalized road slaughter adjacent to yellowstone, to the tune of 5 elk each, and more people applying is why folks wont draw a tag.

I've always been amazed how lucky (collectively) an extremely small group of video content producers have been in drawing some of the most difficult the tags in which to produce content. A hand full of people at best, producing videos that have drawn multiple Elk, Moose, Sheep as well as Goat and Buffalo tags. Meat eater, Fresh Tracks, Into the High Country and throw NR Eastmans in there two. I guess if you're firm believer coincidence.
It just takes money. If you have the funds to apply in every single state for every single species, your odds of hitting at least one tag somewhere are pretty good. Now do it for 2, 3, or more people in your group and the odds get extremely good to hit one.

It just takes money. If you have the funds to apply in every single state for every single species, your odds of hitting at least one tag somewhere are pretty good. Now do it for 2, 3, or more people in your group and the odds get extremely good to hit one.
Plus using that sponsor money to buy any tag you can helps. They need to hunt for their job so I’d assume purchases tags is a business expense that can be written off

Plus using that sponsor money to buy any tag you can helps. They need to hunt for their job so I’d assume purchases tags is a business expense that can be written off
Yup, the price of those Wyoming commissioner tags that were auctioned off by RMEF a month or so ago didn't go that high

He wasted his tag in my opinion. But he a movie star 5 days. One of the problems us they got rid of the gardiner late hunts. Make 313 45 a 2 week draw. Wolves. If it went back to the old draws with great numbers of elk better odds. Same with breaks tags. With popularity alot more apply. Consequences of making hunting a sport and cool.
One of the problems us they got is when you A I bots got out.

1715891008097.png

You can be a champion for conservation, corner crossing issues, etc. without being an inconsiderate ass.

rule #1 that should be beaten into influencers is spot burning is the sin of all sins. Stop it, it does nothing positive for hunters. This should be the most obvious F’n thing. Steve admitted to f’n up the blue mountains hunt for locals and publicly apologized years ago. Yet here they are constantly doing the same shit over and over. Yanis also did it with his CO elk hunt in obvious unit * naming the town it was in and points needed to draw it. Wy region G, the list goes on and on.

Also, if you find the definition of sellout in the dictionary you should see Steve’s picture. Hated crowding and 4 wheelers his entire life and now pimps them using his platform. That’s a true sellout, no argument. I guarantee he feels guilt deep inside, but you know as they say. Once your “livelihood” depends on something all morals go out the window for those who are weak. He could walk away tomorrow a wealthy man, but he likes money and fame. It got to him.

I thought it was hilarious he blew up his buddy's (Cal) mule deer spot in Idaho right out of Podunk City in unit 69 (Cocks creek) while saying in the show he'd never say where it was. I was able to find it on google earth in 15 minutes from the footage.

Last edited:
You can be a champion for conservation, corner crossing issues, etc. without being an inconsiderate ass.

rule #1 that should be beaten into influencers is spot burning is the sin of all sins. Stop it, it does nothing positive for hunters. This should be the most obvious F’n thing. Steve admitted to f’n up the blue mountains hunt for locals and publicly apologized years ago. Yet here they are constantly doing the same shit over and over. Yanis also did it with his CO elk hunt in obvious unit * naming the town it was in and points needed to draw it. Wy region G, the list goes on and on.

Also, if you find the definition of sellout in the dictionary you should see Steve’s picture. Hated crowding and 4 wheelers his entire life and now pimps them using his platform. That’s a true sellout, no argument. I guarantee he feels guilt deep inside, but you know as they say. Once your “livelihood” depends on something all morals go out the window for those who are weak. He could walk away tomorrow a wealthy man, but he likes money and fame. It got to him.
My question is who watches a YouTube or hunting channel show and applies/hunts based on that? Sounds ultra dumb but I guess there is no shortage of special needs folks..

My question is who watches a YouTube or hunting channel show and applies/hunts based on that? Sounds ultra dumb but I guess there is no shortage of special needs folks..

Yea you’d be surprised how many idiots are out there that do this. They sit behind GE and pinpoint everything. Then the old school boot leather burners get pushed out of these spots. It’s fine when it happens organically, but when it’s because an influencer it’s the worst. Happens in everything, your favorite hot springs, camping spot, etc. YouTubers blow everything up for self promotion.

I applied for Beaver archery this year. 😂
This was by design. Awaiting the draw stats on that one. I’ve got 2 pals with 25 points that did not draw. A guy with 30 bailed at the last minute.

Reactions: DFS
Are these the cats that send goats and elk off ledges at the shot, can’t find the elk or bear they shot, and pose with 2 day old bloated deer?
Yeah I saw all those episodes.

I thought it was hilarious he blew up his buddy's (Cal) mule deer spot in Idaho right out of xxx in unit xxx(cxxxxx creek) while saying in the show he'd never say where it was. I was able to find it on google earth in 15 minutes from the footage.
Yes we all know but delete your unit numbers and towns. Stop helping the problem.

I thought it was hilarious he blew up his buddy's (Cal) mule deer spot in Idaho right out of Ketchum in unit 69 (Crotch creek) while saying in the show he'd never say where it was. I was able to find it on google earth in 15 minutes from the footage.

Jesus did he actually say it was ***? Yea that episode pissed of half of Idaho. Cal has just as much responsibility there.

Last edited:
I thought it was hilarious he blew up his buddy's (Cal) mule deer spot in Idaho right out of Podunk City in unit 69 (Cocks creek) while saying in the show he'd never say where it was. I was able to find it on google earth in 15 minutes from the footage.
I knew roughly the unit but not the spot; thanks. See you this fall

All spot burning on HT
View attachment 326466

2 wrongs don’t make a right. Delete that chit.
Lighten up Francis. Everyone knows where that is and it's basically in downtown Hollywood. I edited it for ya but someone quoted it lol.
Any spot you can hunt and be eating at a 5 star restaurant in 15 minutes from the TH isn't a spot worth protecting.

Back