Bitterroot Mule Deer 261/270

I started applying for this tag 8 years ago after reading this article (gotta love the internet). Didn't really start hunting MD till 2012 and they've quickly become my favorite animal to pursue. Feel fortunate to be holding this tag this year, but fully understand it isn't what it used to be.

https://mtstandard.com/hunt-of-a-li...cle_abead885-39fc-5b85-a4d7-c159defc4a9d.html

I've made some questionable decisions on general tags...Shot deer I would of passed if I took a better look and passed deer I kind of regret passing. I need to get better at judging deer before I make another bad decision.

Passed this one up in 2023 when I was dead set on finding a special caliber deer. I'm guessing he would of broke 160, saw him two seasons in a row and thought i'd try and give him another year. Hunted it hard this year and never turned him up.
View attachment 326220View attachment 326222
Here's a 159 (gross) I was happy to shoot back in 2021. Didn't have a ton of weather that year and the hunting was tough. He was really narrow, like 19" inside spread, good front forks crabby backs and decent mass. I cut his track way back in a hell hole, tracked him for an hour, finally caught him on his feet in the dark timber.
View attachment 326221
In 2020 I found this guy tending some does...We got in on him and I opted to pass, my buddy thought I was a fool and I kind of agree with him now. I took my eyes off the spotter for a second and look over and he's got the gun on him with one in the chamber and says, "so you're sure you don't want him...BOOM!" A respectable mid 160's deer with a couple unique features.

View attachment 326224View attachment 326225View attachment 326226
I don't feel like I need to fill this tag but also would be happy with a respectable buck. I think the shift in baseline for what is "big" is a very real thing. I've seen enough big deer on guys walls that I know I haven't seen but maybe one truly nice deer on the hoof. Kind of just want to get a few days into the hunt before I make my mind up on the deer I'd be looking for. I'd be willing to give up rut hunting in a heartbeat for better quality hunting in Montana, that being said I'm going to enjoy seeing numbers and rut activity on this hunt. I'm not the slightest bit interested in blasting a 200" yard deer.
Great deer and good luck with the tag! I look forward to seeing how the hunt goes.

Hi everyone! Hope the draw was in your favor this year!

I certainly felt lucky when I saw I pulled a 261 muley tag with only 6 points! I live in Missoula and work in Ravalli county so I’ll have plenty of time to scout and explore the unit!

I know 261/270 are often considered Montana’s best mule deer units. I’m curious what the general consensus is on unit 261. Is a 180”+ public buck possible?

If any one has experience hunting unit 261 or has pictures of bucks from the area they are willing to share I would greatly appreciate the info. Not looking for spots or specifics I’m happy to figure that out on my own.

Super excited about the tag and will be sure to post pictures from scouting and the hunt.
261 tag here also. Very suprised

I certainly felt lucky when I saw I pulled a 261 muley tag with only 6 points! I live in Missoula and work in Ravalli county so I’ll have plenty of time to scout and explore the unit!

I know 261/270 are often considered Montana’s best mule deer units. I’m curious what the general consensus is on unit 261. Is a 180”+ public buck possible?

If any one has experience hunting unit 261 or has pictures of bucks from the area they are willing to share I would greatly appreciate the info. Not looking for spots or specifics I’m happy to figure that out on my own.

Super excited about the tag and will be sure to post pictures from scouting and the hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back