Yeti GOBOX Collection

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
should probably do another trail race in 2024.

25 mile trail race with 5,500 feet of vert completed

89/239 overall and 62/143 for males.

considering that
1) i'm in the midst of toddler life
2) a full time job
3) a wife with a high risk pregnancy
4) having nowhere to readily run single track with vert for training given my daily time constraints
5) horrific shin splints that prevented running up until about a month ago.
6) due to number 5 my longest training run being only 4.5 miles and having logged only about 10-12 total runs prior to the race

so, considering all that and then to top it all off only getting 2.5 hours of sleep before the race, i'm really not sure it could've gone any better. especially so considering i remain uninjured post race... but certainly struggling to walk.

was gonna see mtnelk at the starting line as we unknowingly had both signed up for this but he had to go and injure himself playing hockey.

gonna sign up for a sept trail half to keep the ball rolling on training.

Last edited:
gonna sign up for a sept trail half to keep the ball rolling on training.

Good for you on the run, and good for you for going after another one!👍

I’m sure you’re smart enough to know this, but take it from someone a little ahead of you in the timeline of life- you have to continue to make time for your sleep and fitness, and there are always going to be things that come after your free time.

Been there, done that… I went through a period of neglect and glad I snapped out of it when I did. I’m not saying to miss kid/family stuff, but it’s ok to swing out for an hour every day or every other- I just think of it as another hour of my workday. A healthier life means you are a better employee, better husband and better dad. Modeling a fit and active lifestyle (I know you do, but it gets tougher with kids) is only going to help your kids live the same way.

Good for you on the run, and good for you for going after another one!👍

I’m sure you’re smart enough to know this, but take it from someone a little ahead of you in the timeline of life- you have to continue to make time for your sleep and fitness, and there are always going to be things that come after your free time.

Been there, done that… I went through a period of neglect and glad I snapped out of it when I did. I’m not saying to miss kid/family stuff, but it’s ok to swing out for an hour every day or every other- I just think of it as another hour of my workday. A healthier life means you are a better employee, better husband and better dad. Modeling a fit and active lifestyle (I know you do, but it gets tougher with kids) is only going to help your kids live the same way.

absolutely and it's a good reminder. sleep and fitness remain high priority. i'm unfortunately a cursed sleeper. why i slept only 2.5 hours the night before? it's just something i'm prone to, especially if anything even slightly throws off my gut which i think is what happened.

my post maybe glossed over the fact that i still worked my ass off for this race, i just really wasn't able to run, like at all, almost entirely due to the shin splints. the only thing i was able to due without flaring shin splints was stair climbing (i even had to stop weighted bar bell squats they were so bad), so that's what i did, every day of the week for 30-90 minutes. sometimes even the stair climbing would cause twangs of pain. i basically take extended lunch breaks for working out every day and get home a little later.

found an incredible PT and she fixed the shin splints, just not with enough time remaining to get a lot of runs in. i was even starting cause different injuries by trying to pile on some running too soon in the final weeks as soon as the shin splints stopped and had to go the final pre race week without a single run to allow some pains to cool down. and so, even with my lungs, quads, and heart in as good a shape as ever, when those legs aren't tuned in to running and running vert you're gonna have a rough time no matter what.

it was rough, but i'm pretty proud i pulled off a rather challenging trail marathon (technically not a marathon duh) in the top 45% of the pack when my total running log maybe only barely exceeded the distance of the race lol

the secret is to crush sausage mcgriddles and two large mcdonalds black coffees while ripping down down the highway at 85 mph after waking up late for the race ;)

IMG_6055.jpg

Back