Best Time for Steelhead in Idaho?

Ten Bears

I know we have a fair number of steelhead and salmon fishermen around here. So,,,,,, when does each think is the best time to go fishing for them???????

I prefer to fish for them when they're on the bite.

On the lower Salmon I've had spectacular days in November thru Jan.

On the Clearwater, I go more during spring. Last year I hit the S Fork in late March and did very well.

Depends on the river you're fishing and the conditions.

The Salmon river near Northfork is probably really good right now. I like to fish the few miles above and below the confluence of the middle fork. I never fish a hole more than an hour or two. Its not uncommon to hook and land 15-25 a day. I like to fish it when theres heavy slush ice and cold...lots of people think you cant fish through the slush ice. Down side is the fish are usually only 4-12 pounds. I usually also catch some real nice cutthroat.

The clearwater is fickle during the months of Dec. and January. If the weather is warm in mid January it can be pretty good. If the weather is cold, forget it. You'll grind it out on the river for maybe a bite a day. I have done really good in late January fishing a jig and bobber in the main stem if the river is clear. First sign of color in the river after January and I prefer to bounce corkies and yarn. All in all...Feb is THE month to hit the Clearwater. Late-Feb to end of March the Southfork is good. I pretty much had the Southfork to myself for years...its an absolute zoo any more. The fish that time of year though, are about as burned out and dark as they get...definately catch and release. Also in late Feb. I've had good luck in the upper river at clear creek, miller hole, button beach, etc.

The mainstem clearwater is an intimidating river and you have to know what you're doing to catch steelhead in it. I like fishing it the best because the fish are big and its the most difficult. Very few people do well from shore on that river, but I usually do better than 95% of the people in boats. You just flat have to know what you're doing.

Salmon fishing is a joke. Its so easy its pathetic. Even a very mediocre steelhead fisherman will tear the salmon apart. The good steelhead fishermen make an absolute mockery of the salmon.

Late august to late Oct. on the Clearwater can be as good as it gets 50 to 70degrees and lots of fish. Oct. to Feb. is colder and the fishing can be good or bad not much in between eighter it is hot or you get skunked. If I had to pic a month it would have to be Oct. I think A's still in the system but the Bruns are showing up and the bite is usually pretty good. Pm if you want I would be gald to answer any ? 25 so far this season and counting. LIL

Any guide recommendations for steelhead?

Have never fished with them, but when I used to fish the Clearwater a bunch, I know they did very good on both steelhead and salmon. Usually pretty good about sharing information if you shared some info in return.

These guys get it done for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, bass and walleye.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back