Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help trying to match a powder from the 1960s

DRS

I’m trying to match my Dad’s favorite load from the early 1960s for use in his rifle that I inherited. His notes just say 67 grns of 4350 for the powder. What would be an equivalent in todays powder? IMR4350? H4350? or something else?

I’m trying to match my Dad’s favorite load from the early 1960s for use in his rifle that I inherited. His notes just say 67 grns of 4350 for the powder. What would be an equivalent in todays powder? IMR4350? H4350? or something else?
most likely the IMR version, but just work up a load as you usually do starting low, you didn't indicate a cartridge. I have old reloading manuals as I started reloading in the 60's and can check what were max loads. Today's powder lots can deliver significantly different pressures and every rifle has their favorites.

most likely the IMR version, but just work up a load as you usually do starting low, you didn't indicate a cartridge. I have old reloading manuals as I started reloading in the 60's and can check what were max loads. Today's powder lots can deliver significantly different pressures and every rifle has their favorites.
It’s a 300 H&H.

Do you know what projectile weight he was loading? 67.0gr. of IMR 4350 ought to put you right in the sweet spot with a 180gr. softpoint, whereas 67.0gr. of H4350 would be about right for 150-165gr. class projectiles. Given that the Hodgdon Extreme line didn't appear until the late 1990s, whereas IMR 4350 has been around since the 1940s and even then was one of the favorites for the 300 H&H, I'd guess the data is for the IMR powder.

As the others have said, back off a bit and work up slowly. And post pics of the cool vintage rifle!

1715882676537.png

1715883542335.png

Do you know what projectile weight he was loading? 67.0gr. of IMR 4350 ought to put you right in the sweet spot with a 180gr. softpoint, whereas 67.0gr. of H4350 would be about right for 150-165gr. class projectiles. Given that the Hodgdon Extreme line didn't appear until the late 1990s, whereas IMR 4350 has been around since the 1940s and even then was one of the favorites for the 300 H&H, I'd guess the data is for the IMR powder.

As the others have said, back off a bit and work up slowly. And post pics of the cool vintage rifle!

View attachment 326447
The bullet is a 165 grn Hornday.

Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (11th ed.) calls for a max load of 64.3gr. of IMR 4350 and 67.2 of H4350 for 165gr. projectiles. So... back to square one.

Are you certain these notes are from the 1960s? If so, I think there is a likelihood the recipes call for IMR 4350. You may want to call Hodgdon to confirm they didn't start selling H4350 until the 90s, though.

Not sure it really matter which one you use.

Recipes have changed significantly in 60 years. So even if you had his exact recipe it’s not viable anymore. You will have to start over with the new powder and primer lots. One lot to the next is significantly different sometimes within a year span.

Try and match the velocity with the new powder and you can get close. But your really starting from scratch.

Last edited:
Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (11th ed.) calls for a max load of 64.3gr. of IMR 4350 and 67.2 of H4350 for 165gr. projectiles. So... back to square one.

Are you certain these notes are from the 1960s? If so, I think there is a likelihood the recipes call for IMR 4350. You may want to call Hodgdon to confirm they didn't start selling H4350 until the 90s, though.
Yes he started reloading in the early 60s. He used this same load hunting across North America in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Not sure it really matter which one you use.

Recipes have changed significantly in 60. So even if you had his exact recipe it’s not viable anymore. You will have to start over with the new powder and primer lots. One lot to the next is significantly different sometimes within a year span.

Try and match the velocity with the new powder and you can get close. But your really starting from scratch.
I was afraid of that. I have tried the IMR4350 I currently have but accuracy has not been very good.

I am using H4350 in my 300HH with good results with Hornady interlock; Nosler Partition; Accubonds and Barnes ttsx all are running a little below book velocity regardless of my 26 inch barrel. All are getting sub MOA. I’m getting better accuracy 1/2 moa vs 3/4 moa and about 50fps with each load using RL 19 if you can find it.
The 300 HH is a great cartridge, easy to shoot and In my opinion gives just enough more than an 06 to make it interesting. Can’t Imagine you’ll find a cartridge that feeds more reliably. I have heard noise in the past that it’s a bad design because the shoulder design prevents reliable head spacing. I’m not convinced. I necksize only and get 7 or so reloads out of cases I’ve had around since the mid 60s with out issue.
With my rifle I find it does not like to be pushed. I’ve gotten 3150 fps without pressure signs, (using Rl 26) other than the groups opening up dramatically, 3050 using H4350 but accuracy suffered as well. Don’t think of it as a 300 WM and you’ll have more fun.
The cartridge has the same case capacity as the 300 WSM so in theory any load that works for the 300wsm/180s should be worth a look in the grand daddy of them all.
Have fun and hopefully go hunt with it.
As others have noted 60 year old data is next to worthless with modern powders. Also, suitable accuracy, if you read the old gun cranks was around 1 1/2. They would look at you sideways if you told them you had a rifle that shot sub moa.
Rl 19 pushing 180 Partitions produced 1/2 moa at 300 yards and a very low SD in my rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_8707.jpeg
    IMG_8707.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was shooting steel plate at 300 from field positions, just worrying about hitting the plate. Looked down and saw those numbers and pulled it right then and there. typically, when I check on the bench, it runs about 1/2 moa at 300 which is pretty good for a Ruger #1.

I have load data provided to my father from Nosler in ~ 1960 for the 300 H&H. They recomended 66 gr 4350 behind a 180 Nosler partition. It's been the go to for 65 years now.
I did chronograph this load a few years back and it averaged 3130 fps through a pre 64 model 70 with a 26" barrel.

I am using H4350 in my 300HH with good results with Hornady interlock; Nosler Partition; Accubonds and Barnes ttsx all are running a little below book velocity regardless of my 26 inch barrel. All are getting sub MOA. I’m getting better accuracy 1/2 moa vs 3/4 moa and about 50fps with each load using RL 19 if you can find it.
The 300 HH is a great cartridge, easy to shoot and In my opinion gives just enough more than an 06 to make it interesting. Can’t Imagine you’ll find a cartridge that feeds more reliably. I have heard noise in the past that it’s a bad design because the shoulder design prevents reliable head spacing. I’m not convinced. I necksize only and get 7 or so reloads out of cases I’ve had around since the mid 60s with out issue.
With my rifle I find it does not like to be pushed. I’ve gotten 3150 fps without pressure signs, (using Rl 26) other than the groups opening up dramatically, 3050 using H4350 but accuracy suffered as well. Don’t think of it as a 300 WM and you’ll have more fun.
The cartridge has the same case capacity as the 300 WSM so in theory any load that works for the 300wsm/180s should be worth a look in the grand daddy of them all.
Have fun and hopefully go hunt with it.
As others have noted 60 year old data is next to worthless with modern powders. Also, suitable accuracy, if you read the old gun cranks was around 1 1/2. They would look at you sideways if you told them you had a rifle that shot sub moa.
Rl 19 pushing 180 Partitions produced 1/2 moa at 300 yards and a very low SD in my rifle.
Thanks for the info. I have had my own 300 H&H in an x-bolt since 2018 and also have used H 4350 in it. I was just trying to recreate my Dads load in his rifle because I knew it had been so effective. What kind of dye are you using for neck sizing?

I have load data provided to my father from Nosler in ~ 1960 for the 300 H&H. They recomended 66 gr 4350 behind a 180 Nosler partition. It's been the go to for 65 years now.
I did chronograph this load a few years back and it averaged 3130 fps through a pre 64 model 70 with a 26" barrel.
That’s good to know. Dads rifle has never been chronoed. It is a Rem 721 also with a 26 barrel.

Are you from the future? Chrono says the date is Feb 5 2126. Figured you have a ray gun by then :)
I know, I saw that when I posted this. I just got the Garmin now I have to figure out how to set the date.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back