MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

Curious what you guys are wearing for running shoes. Im not a runner but would like to be. Luckily im not too out of shape, 5' 10", 190lbs, just never ran much. Any recommendations?

My feet arent in the best shape either, recovered from a tear in my second toe knuckle ligament on my right foot. Now I wear custom orthotics because I have very high arches. Hauling heavy pack outs over long distances and hard terrain messed my feet up. I can still do it, just spent a lot upgrading footwear.

Right now I just hit the weights lightly and hike/walk. Looking to up my intensity now that Im not dealing with injuries.
Brooks. Can buy direct from manufacturer’s site at decent pricing too. I blew through a pairs New Balance, Asics, Sportiva. Haven’t looked back since I found Brooks.

My feet arent in the best shape either, recovered from a tear in my second toe knuckle ligament on my right foot. Now I wear custom orthotics because I have very high arches.

Like @Benfromalbuquerque said, I would recommend Brooks- specifically Adrenalines. Look online for a pair of 22’s, you can find them way cheaper than the current model (like $85-90).

I am on my 7-8th pair or something like that. I keep trying different shoes, and keep coming back. They are a “stability” running shoe which will probably help you out.

I’m on a good streak the past few weeks, but I can feel dead legs setting in the past two days. Really nasty weather coming in the next two days at least, good time for a rest.

IMG_7109.jpeg

+3 on Brooks shoes.

i've burned through i don't know how many pairs of Cascadia's. i've also tried to branch out and came right back after a very short period and demoted whatever brand i briefly tried to yard work and whatever else.

my favorite summer backpacking and general alpine hiking and scrambling shoe as well.

never tried any of their road shoes though.

hard to beat the Hoka Speedgoats if you're looking at shoes with that much padding, I find them to be way more nimble than the Cascadias.

Good to know. I’m not specifically looking for a high stack (my Solomon’s have very little)- I used to run trails with Brooks Adrenaline which wasn’t bad, but my ankles felt unstable with that high of stack. I almost prefer less.

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot. Ive seen the hokas with the "high stack" (new term to me) and never tried them. I used to roll ankles easily so I stay away from stuff that could cause it.

Been looking at brooks but sounds like they have very high praises from y'all. Will see what I can do. Appreciate the responses!

One more question about footwear. Do you wear the brooks (adrenalines) on trail runs at all? Or is there another recommendation specifically for trail running shoes?

I have the benefit of living on the side of a mountain range, but in a spread out neighborhood. I can run roads or trails, and finding elevation changes is easier than finding flat ground.

One more question about footwear. Do you wear the brooks (adrenalines) on trail runs at all? Or is there another recommendation specifically for trail running shoes?

I have the benefit of living on the side of a mountain range, but in a spread out neighborhood. I can run roads or trails, and finding elevation changes is easier than finding flat ground.
I liked Brooks Cascadias for trail running. They worked well for the little road running I did

Do you wear the brooks (adrenalines) on trail runs at all?

I have many times, they do well.

I would say that because they are a “stability” shoe they are actually a really good option if you wanted a road shoe for light/occasional trail use. If you’re doing mainly trails, it is probably not what I would choose specifically for that purpose though.

Last edited:
So I went to ER yesterday. Suspected hernia. Yep.
Dr literally popped it back in with his thumb. Fat through a pinhole.
Just sore & tired today. Heavy pain meds used.
I feel like I'm 19 the day after....LOL
Yup, Rio needs a ramp or a diet. Or both. Be careful! Ain't none of us getting any younger! 🤷‍♂️

Went and grabbed a cheap mountain bike about a week ago. Finally jumped on it after work today. Holy crap I don't remember it being that hard when I was younger. Did manage about a mile and a half in strong wind and that was enough.

I hike a local National Wildlife Refuge, starting before dawn.
On the way back I pick up litter, which helps stretch this 67 year old body, and maintains a trash free refuge.

This Drake Canvasback saw my white trash bag and was curious.
Before sunrise, so not enough light for a good photos.
Canvasback_Incoming.JPG

Been absent for a bit working on the house the past two weeks, but body is feeling good. Weight is leaving slowly, but definitely getting stronger.

Wife really wanted a dedicated area to workout and I leaned it by essentially deconstructing the garage and getting it setup for her, and then realized I should set it up for me too. After all, just found out my favorite gym - GOAT training out of Edwards CO - launched a gym feed program. So I’ve been doing that for a few weeks and feel really good.

Have my second DEXA scan in a few weeks to see how my body comp has shifted in the past 3 months.

All in all, things are going well. Tmrw is the weekly “get the goat” workout that has me wanting to puke sometimes trying it at 8600 feet.

IMG_7022.jpegIMG_7023.jpeg

Still a few things to finish in the garage, but finished insulating the whole thing and paneling the workout area. Need to wall off the rest of the garage and rehang some shelves.

Been absent for a bit working on the house the past two weeks, but body is feeling good. Weight is leaving slowly, but definitely getting stronger.

Wife really wanted a dedicated area to workout and I leaned it by essentially deconstructing the garage and getting it setup for her, and then realized I should set it up for me too. After all, just found out my favorite gym - GOAT training out of Edwards CO - launched a gym feed program. So I’ve been doing that for a few weeks and feel really good.

Have my second DEXA scan in a few weeks to see how my body comp has shifted in the past 3 months.

All in all, things are going well. Tmrw is the weekly “get the goat” workout that has me wanting to puke sometimes trying it at 8600 feet.

View attachment 323571View attachment 323572

Still a few things to finish in the garage, but finished insulating the whole thing and paneling the workout area. Need to wall off the rest of the garage and rehang some shelves.
If mtelk ever wants to meet in person Don’t Do It. He’s a serial killer. He hides the skeletal remains in his “workout room”

Sorry, I couldn’t resist with the big skeleton in the rafters. I can’t read your writing, can you tell us about the get the GOAT workout?

If mtelk ever wants to meet in person Don’t Do It. He’s a serial killer. He hides the skeletal remains in his “workout room”

Sorry, I couldn’t resist with the big skeleton in the rafters. I can’t read your writing, can you tell us about the get the GOAT workout?
Those are the last MFers to talk smack about me on HT 😂 (daughter is obsessed with Halloween, being a good dad, I go overboard every year on decorations)

1. 20 Cal assault bike
  2. 10 step ups weighted with 50lb KB each hand
  3. 20 Cal assault bike
  4. 10 Renegade ROWS
  5. 30 CAL assault bike
Repeat for 45 mins. The in person classes are better because it’s a group effort, but for at home workouts, the tempo is fast and hard

Those are the last MFers to talk smack about me on HT 😂 (daughter is obsessed with Halloween, being a good dad, I go overboard every year on decorations)

1. 20 Cal assault bike
  2. 10 step ups weighted with 50lb KB each hand
  3. 20 Cal assault bike
  4. 10 Renegade ROWS
  5. 30 CAL assault bike
Repeat for 45 mins. The in person classes are better because it’s a group effort, but for at home workouts, the tempo is fast and hard
I’m still right here! You can’t get rid of me!

31C201C8-DBED-466B-9C86-256AB3A5849A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back