Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

The NR had whitetail doe tags in hand, wondering where he could “fill them”. I told him just take and burn them, 97-99% of the whitetail were winter killed/EHD victims. His response floored me. “Your dept sold me these tags, I am filling them”.

This is the mindset I can’t comprehend.

Though I don’t think it’s right I dont blame him one bit. The people that are paid to manage wildlife say there’s enough around for them to sell these tags why wouldn’t a non resident not put his trust in the people that are paid to do it.

Fwp didn’t see much of an issue with mule deer numbers being down 55% in region 7. “We’ve been here before”

Back 2007(?) Zootown R2 had available three (or maybe it was five(?)) OTC "river bottom" deer tags. That was on top of the general tag. "River bottom" held a wide latitude for lawful definition.
At the time I didn't have a problem filling my freezer with meat. FWP had it available - deer overabundance promoted the issuance of tags or so held my belief with FWP.

Point being, people hold some belief, what FWP issues/makes available validates the intent to fill the freezer.

It's encouraging to see passionate people coming together and working on this complex issue. The proposal is well written and I really hope it gains traction.

A few thoughts:

There should 100% be caps on the tags sold, drawn, reissued, etc. to nonresidents.
Hunting animals in their most vulnerable time (i.e. rut) with the most effective weapon (i.e. rifle) makes absolutely no sense.
Outside of reducing populations in certain areas, killing the baby making factories is moronic.

Back