Wyoming elk special NR draw

The unit I applied for saw a swing. Down 3 PP in the special, up 1 in regular. Random odds were worse in both with regular seeing almost double the apps for random and special up by about a 1/3rd

2023 there were 3,181 1st choice applicants in the special draw on the random side for the general tag.

2024 there were 1,372 1st choice applicants in the special draw on the random side for all 3 general tag units combined.

That's a decrease of 1,809 applicants, over 56% reduction.

Actual draw odds on the random side in 2023 was 10.7% for special in the general.

Draw odds for 2024 on the random side was 40% for the East, 68.5% for the South and 24.8% in the West. Combined was 31.1%.

Part of that is because the way they split them up there ended up being 84 more tags in 2024.

So there was a pretty big effect, just not enough of one that you are guaranteed a tag.

Going from 10.7% to 24.8% odds is a nice jump though.

Last edited:
It's interesting because just looking at points it didn't change that much. Last year it was 4+ points for the special general tag (29% at 4 points)and this year it was essentially 4 points to draw (91% at 4 points in the West).

Will be very interesting to see how this sorts out next year as well. My gut feel says that there was a decent group of folks burning points in the special side this year that are either going to be back to building points again or completely dropping out.

It's interesting because just looking at points it didn't change that much. Last year it was 4+ points for the special general tag (29% at 4 points)and this year it was essentially 4 points to draw (91% at 4 points in the West).

Will be very interesting to see how this sorts out next year as well. My gut feel says that there was a decent group of folks burning points in the special side this year that are either going to be back to building points again or completely dropping out.
I looked at 7 and thought that same thing, or a tag service put high point holders in for it. Both the regular and special needed 13 to draw. One guy burned 17 in the special on that tag.

2023 there were 3,181 1st choice applicants in the special draw on the random side for the general tag.

2024 there were 1,372 1st choice applicants in the special draw on the random side for all 3 general tag units combined.

Actual draw odds on the random side in 2023 was 10.7% for special in the general.

Draw odds for 2024 on the random side was 40% for the East, 68.5% for the South and 24.8% in the West. Combined was 31.1%.

Part of that is because the way they split them up there ended up being 84 more tags in 2024.

So there was a pretty big effect, just not enough of one that you are guaranteed a tag.

Good stuff. I was only looking at points needed from 23-24, obviously goes a lot deeper than that

31% on average and really a wild jump in the South

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back