Caribou Gear

Big ol Burban?

Had a nice day out so I hooked the hot water pressure washer up and did the final degreasing. I spent a good 2 hours getting absolutely soaked and filthy. Whatever the coating was on the frame came off with the chemical degreaser I used prior. So the goal was to get it down to metal to recoat it with good spray paint.

View attachment 326815
Nice. Eastmans has some good stuff as far as coating metal goes. mtmuley

Good thing I bought that other one. I’ve been swapping some obsolete parts that were needed to replace what was worn on mine.

It can still go back together and be sold, it still has some life left in it before it’s a core.
Also, I sold that other transfer case. I got the parts I needed out of it and made 50 bucks.

Got the frame all back to being painted black from where I accidentally stripped it. Used the POR15 engine enamel I had left along with POR15 Top coat. Turned out pretty good, but really makes the rest look bad. I’m going to have to pull it back out and clean the rest of the frame to hit it with top coat. IMG_2983.jpeg

Engine, transmission, and transfer case are installed! I dry fit it all today to see what clears and what doesn’t.

Driveshafts will have to get adjusted about 1.5” to deal with the shorter transmission. I had a set of Camaro manifolds and they won’t clear the front driveshaft. I will have to get a set of headers to make it fit better. Speed Engineering makes a special set for this, so that should solve any current fitment issues.

IMG_2993.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a 1980s suburban for sale down town. Looks to have a small lift maybe, and some fat tires. Not too different than the one in the original post. I stopped to look at it yesterday, thinking maybe they're asking 5 or 6K...17,000! Man prices have gone up.

This weeks project was wiring. I had my engine harness remade for the new engine. 100% new minus a few old firewall plugs that had to be reused. There are a few hiccups with it on what plug for what sensor as GM changed them quite a bit. So far only the temp and oil pressure senders plugs were wrong. I just had to order the right sender to go the plug they used. For oil pressure there are three different types for the same engine year.

I also rebuilt the ABS and transfer case harness. They just crumbled if you handled them. The pic I took was at the beginning of it. By the time I was done I had quite the mess of crumbled wire loom on the floor. All in all I replaced about 20’ of wire loom.

IMG_3009.jpegIMG_3010.jpeg

Last edited:
This weeks project was wiring. I had my engine harness remade for the new engine. 100% new minus a few old firewall plugs that had to be reused. There are a few hiccups with it on what plug for what sensor as GM changed them quite a bit. So far only the temp and oil pressure senders plugs were wrong. I just had to order the right sender to go the plug they used. For oil pressure there are three different types for the same engine year.

I also rebuilt the ABS and transfer case harness. They just crumbled if you handled them. The pick I took was at the beginning of it. By the time I was done I had quite the mess of crumbled wire loom on the floor. All in all I replaced about 20’ of wire loom.

View attachment 329132View attachment 329133
You've got the patience of an oyster.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justin.webb
Back