Caribou Gear

Early Archery New Mexico unit 36 tactics

I’m sure. We ain’t scared to walk. One step at a time.
I remember my first elk hunt and thinking "I ain't scared to walk, this can't be hard".

What a fricken fool I was back then. Horizontal line on the map from park to "glassing spot A" was only 2.5 miles, I can "walk" 2.5 miles at home easily in under an hour. Start 1.5 hours before dark giving myself some "extra time" to work with. 1.5 miles in and it was already past noon...

Some guys make it sound like 36 is a cake walk but you can bet it has some of the roughest country in NM.
It will kick your azz quickly and ruin your hunt if you're not in shape and throw in some high elevation to kick you even harder. Not to mention high temps during the archery season which can make getting an animal out in time difficult.

I remember my first elk hunt and thinking "I ain't scared to walk, this can't be hard".

What a fricken fool I was back then. Horizontal line on the map from park to "glassing spot A" was only 2.5 miles, I can "walk" 2.5 miles at home easily in under an hour. Start 1.5 hours before dark giving myself some "extra time" to work with. 1.5 miles in and it was already past noon...
This isn’t my first western trip. I have hunted mule deer the past two years and been very successful. I know what to expect and we are not scared to walk. The reason I know this is because Iv done it.

Listen I know it an awesome unit. Just don’t know what to expect. This is literally my first elk hunt. We will be in shape. Have been in the mountians chasing deer. Steep and rugged is fine with us. We love it. Just don’t know if we need to get deep or truck hunt. I know both will probably be effective.
This isn’t my first western trip. I have hunted mule deer the past two years and been very successful. I know what to expect and we are not scared to walk. The reason I know this is because Iv done it.

I have the same hunt as yourself BD, lucky for me it’s only a few hours to drive to the mountain so I’ll be up there all summer long scouting, camping and fishing. Like everybody else said there is plenty of elk to chase and it shouldn’t be a problem finding elk to hunt. Things to expect, road hunters, hikers, lots of ppl just enjoying the woods camping and hopefully a few bugling bulls. This will be my first time chasing elk in this unit but not the first time in the unit, I grew up camping all over the mountain. I do have a few contacts for horse services if you would like them? They do drop camps, water hauls, horses rental and pack out services. Best of luck and I’ll see you out there
Please pm me info contact for horses/drop. They

So in the first post you quoted I was referring to elk numbers and behavior. Not terrain

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back