Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Steepest Rate of Gain You've Hiked

Brandon270

On a recent pig hunt I went on I went in an area that I've been wanting to try for quite a while. From topo views and google earth I knew it would be a pretty steep climb. I'm by no means an elite mountain hunter, past hunts I've gone on have been a 12-1400' gain in a 2+ mile hike. Those were pretty manageable. This recent trail was 1400' in about 1 1/4 miles to the main peak. The difference in gain was huge. We had recent rains making the trail slick which didn't help but coming down was downright scary. I'm thankful I had trekking poles and ended up side steeping down the whole way back.

What's the steepest rate of gain you guys have encountered out there?

Hunting? Worst sustained was 4000 ft in ~4.5 miles. The steepest was 2200ft in .7 miles

I would say that encountering a few spots that are 1000 ft in .5 miles is a pretty regular occurrence.

The ridge hike at Bridger is 420ft in 250 yards... and a lot of folks are doing that 6+ times a weekend all winter in ski boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did 1000’ over 1590’ if it was a strait line. My path was almost 4000’ long as I weaved my way up.

Last edited:
On established hiking trails and not off trail hunting I have done around 4k ft in 4-4.5 miles several times. One trail I want to try this summer is 4k ft in <3 miles. I would not do if there was not an established trail there.

While hunting some of worst ones have been short distances off trail. 600 ft in around 1/4 mile was one of the worst. Feel like you are going to fall down the hill backwards when you stop to rest. One of the areas I have marked to spend some more time scouting/hunting this year is 2,800 from the bottom to the top in 1.25 miles. Which would involve big rocky cliffs, so I plan on taking the long way around.

Steepest i think I’ve done is 1200 in .7. It’s up a canyon so it’s kind of a pain in the ass weaving my way up. One time I did it with my daughter in one of the backpack carriers. I would think her legs were more tired than mine considering the amount of squats and high knees she did on my lower back on the way up. Then she fell asleep when we got to the top haha.

933667.jpg

The total elevation gain for the climb is 3,630 feet with a round trip distance of only 2.4 miles (which means you gain over 3,500 feet in just over one mile)

We tried to make a shortcut last fall that had us basically traversing a slope like a mountain climber/spider, 4 points of contact wasn't even comforting. I'd say that's not a hike, just a dumb idea. I cursed my bud out the entire time as it was his decision.

The last hike out on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon sure felt steep on the last leg of our R2R2R hike. Probably any of the slopes we were hunting bear on the east side of the Kenai peninsula seemed to be 60-70° 😁

2264B953-299E-4C51-8770-5F4E912FE237.jpeg

Hiked hours per day of tall, steep stuff in Colorado and Alaska on mountain goat hunts. Have no idea the actual numbers of distance/gain but was steep enough you had "false peaks" as climbed which are a kick in the gut. You think, well, in another 30 minutes will top out. Nope. You just reached a ridgeline well below the peak. Peak is still up, up, up. I had a Fitbit on and I don't recall the number of "stairs" Fitbit thought I had gone up that day but was so many I got some sort of digital medallion badge awarded. In Alaska, I had a full pack with camp on my back plus rifle and water so legitimately over 100 pounds. In Colorado, was merely a 30 pound daypack plus my rifle and water for the day. I can't say it was fun though made for some great memories.

Co Goat 2014.jpg

Around 2,000 ft of elevation gain in around 1.8 miles with very little switchbacks and had to do it 6 days in a row while on a sheep hunt.

Hunting? Worst sustained was 4000 ft in ~4.5 miles. The steepest was 2200ft in .7 miles

I would say that encountering a few spots that are 1000 ft in .5 miles is a pretty regular occurrence.

The ridge hike at Bridger is 420ft in 250 yards... and a lot of folks are doing that 6+ times a weekend all winter in ski boots.
Hell, six times a day is a cake walk for some. Even 52 year old me can get more than that on a good day unless they close the area before I'm in shape ;). I remember when Nikki Kimball embarrassed all the guys by doing 25 in the king/queen ridge event. I think someone got 29 this year but I can't find the results.

I have an easier time going up than down, which is why I like to carry skis.

[edit: Blaze mountain, the last 2200 feet shown below, gains that elevation in 0.84 miles, or a 47% grade. It's a good puker walk up without a trail. It's little easier going down!]

IMG-5464.JPG

Last edited:
When I was working we had to go wherever the property line went no matter how steep. Many times if we were standing upright our free hand would be on the ground, elbow bent. One hill we actually measured we gained 2850 ft. in less than 1/4 mile. One job, for a week we had to hike 2 1/2 miles gaining 3500 ft. every day just to get to the job site so we could start working and I had plantar fasciitis the whole time. So while hunting, I would go for what I thought was a little walk in the woods and my hunting partners would accuse me of taking them on a death march. Now all that took a tole on my knees, old age is creeping up on me and a couple of major medical issues later and I don't do that stuff so much anymore.

Back