Caribou Gear

WY draw results elk 2024

Need help. I thought I did it right, got hosed. NR LE elk unit. Total tags for 2024 were listed at >100. Historically 22-16 NR LE tags available. Had 3 points more than I thought I needed. Only 3 NR tags were given out. How the hell did that happen? What did I miss? Where would I get the info to know ahead of time that only 3 NR tags would be given out?
Are you sure you’re not looking at the random draw odds?

230 people with five points or more applied to Region W in the Special Draw :oops:.

5 points guaranteed a win in the Regular Draw for Region W; 57% for less than 5.
The Special Draw For Gen-W only improves your chances if you have 4 to a 91.6% chance to win.

Random odds improved from 7.7% (all of General) last year to Gen-W at 10.2%

Random odds are Gen-S at 15.6% and Gen-E 6.6%

Question: do both groups of leftover Special and Regular applicants enter the same Random pool for the corresponding Area? Or do the Special applicants still reap the benefit of a smaller pool of applicants?

Is there a way to see how many total tags were given out this year without adding them all out?

7,250 NR bull tags were given out last year, so how many were actually given out this year?

Or do the Special applicants still reap the benefit of a smaller pool of applicants?
Yes, random for west region was close to 25% in special draw.

Is there a way to see how many total tags were given out this year without adding them all out?

7,250 NR bull tags were given out last year, so how many were actually given out this year?
The general regions each had a cap, LQ bull tags would be 16% of total for NR, not sure how you'd find that without just adding all the LQ tags issued up.

Reactions: JAG
Are you sure you’re not looking at the random draw odds?
Counting NR Reg and Special (including both random) total tags were 13. Historic low. I made the assumption that the number of NR tags were fixed as a % of the total quota. Is that not so? If they are fixed as a % what is it for LE?

Yikes, I didn't quite expect that. I was definitely nowhere close on points.

It's the person who spent 11 points in the NR special draw that leaves me scratching my head. Hope they find the mythical massive 4x6.
It's Any bull near FE Irrigation

Counting NR Reg and Special (including both random) total tags were 13. Historic low. I made the assumption that the number of NR tags were fixed as a % of the total quota. Is that not so? If they are fixed as a % what is it for LE?
16% to NR, I think it goes about 10% to regular and 6% to special.

Special draw seemed to be best option for S region, S had the worst odds in regular and the best odds in special.

Drew my first choice type 6 tag. I live close to the unit and it is productive, so happy to have it in my back pocket!

No I do get it, been there and done it on the type 1 tag. It's no doubt a very cool experience. However burning over a decade of points on a raghorn tag seems a bit off or even making it your first choice to hit in the random and use up whatever points you have. If you want to experience that cool unique area to hunt elk, I'd highly recommend that you focus instead on the cow tags offered there. Solid option for your app when you are in that 0-3 point range.
Let's say you have a severe illness, bad medical diagnosis, maybe just tired of putting in every year. Maybe the hunter really likes the country. Maybe they want an easier physical hunt. Maybe they want to combo with a good pronghorn hunt.

Reality is, a vast majority of NR hunters burn points and money on general tags and shoot nothing better than a cow, spike, or raghorn. Some draw great le permits that take more points and do the same thing.

Not sure why you'd concern yourself with how others burn their points.

Imo, that tag your wife drew out there was a total waste of points if you're looking to hunt high scoring elk. You could easily kill larger bulls in any general area in the state.

But, I'm sure it was a very fun hunt, glad it worked out for you. I'd never apply for that tag, ever. Fortunately for you, it's not about me. Your points, your tag, your hunt.

I'm sure the people applying for it will be every but as happy as you were.

Let's say you have a severe illness, bad medical diagnosis, maybe just tired of putting in every year. Maybe the hunter really likes the country. Maybe they want an easier physical hunt. Maybe they want to combo with a good pronghorn hunt.

Reality is, a vast majority of NR hunters burn points and money on general tags and shoot nothing better than a cow, spike, or raghorn. Some draw great le permits that take more points and do the same thing.

Not sure why you'd concern yourself with how others burn their points.

Imo, that tag your wife drew out there was a total waste of points if you're looking to hunt high scoring elk. You could easily kill larger bulls in any general area in the state.

But, I'm sure it was a very fun hunt, glad it worked out for you. I'd never apply for that tag, ever. Fortunately for you, it's not about me. Your points, your tag, your hunt.

I'm sure the people applying for it will be every but as happy as you were.
You are certainly right in that people do apply for a lot of different reasons, we were no exception that year. The unit wasn't randomly chosen nor based on reading a magazine telling me it was "the best one".

My comment originally was to point out my shock at how many points that particular tag continues to take to draw it and it isn't for any of the reasons you bring up. Maybe a person or two but those types of reasons are probably true with all units and hunts.

I've already been messaged by two people and both wanted to know if I got the elk by the FE area and if I saw any good bulls on the public land that is in that area or if there is private there a person can hunt.

Reality is I think most are applying and trying to get that tag to shoot a 6 point bull around FE.

Unsuccessful in Gen S w/ 4pp
But im actually somewhat relieved I didn’t draw as I drew 1% Archery elk tag in NM and am waiting if my 4pp in CO were enough for GMU i put in for.
So would have made it for a very busy schedule

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back