MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Dave N Elk tag fund raiser

He should purchase some of the Montana SuperTag chances for elk. They are only $5.00 a pop. I know it's a long shot but still a chance. Say throw in for $100.00 worth which would be 20 chances at the elk lottery!
And there is plenty of time to still purchase Montana Super Tag chances.

I really don't know what to say. My brain is about fried from the stuff I'm dealing with and I have this totally unbelievable thing that you folks have been putting together. Different states, points, type of permits, etc. make my head hurt trying to concentrate on what is going on. Kind of makes me glad I'm not trying to do it every year for multiple states and critters like a lot of you do. If you kind folks would give me a little time to process things here at home and get my head straight eventually so I can get with the program, then I think I will be able to deal with it and make the decisions that need to be made. It's only been two days. Even though I know I'm excited about it, a trip is not very high on my priority list for the moment. I'm trying to do some little "normal" things and stay busy but future plans are going to take a backseat unless there is a deadline. I've had one short breakdown but I figure there may be another. I'll keep checking in as part of my normal day and try to keep up.

I think it's very cool, I see alot of great hunts being offered. If it comes down to MT I can put you in a fairly easy-ish area for cow/spike hunt. Area is more dependent on weather for the ease factor... I could be a pack mule, can cook pretty decent, also have a pretty good set of eyes.

Looking like Wyoming, you will have a great hunt. Sounds like you guys all have camp covered, but if you needed a hand I'm only a few hours out and would be happy to help pack some weight around.

Il try and follow along, but if you want a tank of fuel when your ready to head out on this trip, just message me. I will cashapp you a tank of fuel.

So for now it appears that we have the bases covered for what decisions need to be made in January. There has been numerous offers for sharing points so that base is covered for Wyoming.

I knew starting this discussion this week would get the best responses. Dave gave me his blessing to start it, I like most, got wrapped up in the outpouring of support. I forgot Dave needs to grieve and process the change.

So for now this thread needs to be parked for a bit. Please work with me thru PM and let’s let Dave do his thing.

Thankyou to everyone, we will make this happen when he is ready.

Addicting

Last edited:
Daughter and I were going through some things out in the kennel and I dug out Lori's bike. I thought it might be a good idea to start getting off my ass and get some exercise. I aired up the tires and rode it somewhere around 2 1/4 miles. It's a 21 speed and I had it in 14. I think it's made in China by some guy named HO LI CRAP! My legs are about kilt! It's a start. Not an every day thing but it's a start. It has to be easier on my knees than the treadmill, plus I have to keep going if I want to get back home! The memorial is tomorrow so after that I can see how much I can push it without joining her. Don't want to let you folks down wherever we end up.

Side note. My one condition for this is @Addicting does NOT use any of his points. They were meant for his kids and I'm not taking them away. His family is great and they have already done things to help us out before this so I'm drawing the line at his kids maybe missing out on anything. It still feels weird that you guys think I "deserve" something special for what we've been through when I was just taking care of my family like we're supposed to. That's just how I was brought up. Guess I'm just old. ;)

I can see how much I can push it without joining her. Don't want to let you folks down wherever we end up
It’s a long time away, just take it easy and take care of you and your daughters. We have this covered.
It still feels weird that you guys think I "deserve" something special for what we've been through when I was just taking care of my family like we're supposed to. That's just how I was brought up.
You have inspired a lot of us to be better husbands. We are just saying Thankyou in a way we can.

I just wanted to drop an update to this for everyone. We raised enough money to cover the cost of the tag and travel.

3 generous members offered to share their WY points. This equals out to two possible options.

3 person party app with a 10 point average for a LE hunt or

2 person party app with 6.5 point average for a general hunt.

This opens a lot of country to chase elk. It also opens a lot of county that has to be narrowed down. The double edge sword dilemma.

So what we can use help with is narrowing down a place.

Here is some of the criteria.

Accessibility, Dave has a bad knee and a good attitude. But vertical cliff faces and climbing gear are probably not in the menu. It has to be reasonable terrain.

Reasonable opportunities at elk. We don’t need a pivot bull, but would not say no to it if offered.

Community, if we are bringing back the HT camps of old there needs to be room for folks to come and go.

If you know of an area or a landowner who would be interested please let us know. There would be a maximum of 3 tag holders depending on if LE or not.

Last edited:
I just wanted to drop an update to this for everyone. We raised enough money to cover the cost of the tag and travel.

3 generous members offered to share their points. This equals out to two possible options.

3 person part app with a 10 point average for a LE hunt or

2 person average with 6.5 point average for a general hunt.

This opens a lot of country to chase elk. It also opens a lot of county that has to be narrowed down. The double edge sword dilemma.

So what we can use help with is narrowing down a place.

Here is some of the criteria.

Accessibility, Dave has a bad knee and a good attitude. But vertical cliff faces and climbing gear are probably not in the menu. It has to be reasonable terrain.

Reasonable opportunities at elk. We don’t need a pivot bull, but would not say no to it if offered.

Community, if we are bringing back the HT camps of old there needs to be room for folks to come and go.

If you know of an area or a landowner who would be interested please let us know. There would be a maximum of 3 tag holders depending on if LE or not.

Apologies if this was determined before - seems it was based on potential points available by a few: What State?

Daughter and I were going through some things out in the kennel and I dug out Lori's bike. I thought it might be a good idea to start getting off my ass and get some exercise. I aired up the tires and rode it somewhere around 2 1/4 miles. It's a 21 speed and I had it in 14. I think it's made in China by some guy named HO LI CRAP! My legs are about kilt! It's a start. Not an every day thing but it's a start. It has to be easier on my knees than the treadmill, plus I have to keep going if I want to get back home! The memorial is tomorrow so after that I can see how much I can push it without joining her. Don't want to let you folks down wherever we end up.

Side note. My one condition for this is @Addicting does NOT use any of his points. They were meant for his kids and I'm not taking them away. His family is great and they have already done things to help us out before this so I'm drawing the line at his kids maybe missing out on anything. It still feels weird that you guys think I "deserve" something special for what we've been through when I was just taking care of my family like we're supposed to. That's just how I was brought up. Guess I'm just old. ;)
not only did you just take care of your family, you were/are a cornerstone of hope and happiness for your kids. Your love and devotion for Lori is unmatched and your strength is so admirable. You kept your head on straight and took care of the family through hell and high water, sir. And on top of all of this, you shared it with all of us which is so courageous in its own right. You have inspired me, Dave. God forbid any of us are faced with the challenges you have, we can power through them as you have done. Good luck on your hunt, sir! I’ll be watching 😊

Sounds like we're starting to get serious! Things have settled down around here and my father is doing much better. He's going to therapy several times a day and has been improving quite a bit. They have an expected release date of the 11th to come home. I think the hardest part for him might be no driving. He loves his hotrod and car shows! Maybe later.

Too dang windy for much bike riding lately but I'll keep trying to work on my knee and legs. I was asked about riding a horse and I tried to mimic getting into the saddle by stepping up onto my chopping block. Seems like if I get on from the right hand side I can do it. Didn't have any problems. Knock on wood.

Trying to drop a few pounds and get in better shape again. It was hard to keep up with it when I was trying to care for her and wasn't doing a lot outside physically. This will take a while! It's not easy going from couch potato to "great white hunter" again! Motivation is there but ambition is lacking now and then. I have time.

I guess I need to get some shooting practice in as well. My weapon of choice is my Encore 300mag. All I need is one shot, right? I had it sighted in at 200 yards years ago and will start there. Us flatland deer hunters don't shoot long distance and I remember shooting 300 yards and thinking it was a pretty far shot! Finding a place to shoot that far SAFELY may be tough. Crops, neighbors and roads interfere around here. I'll have to work on that. I also have my muzzle loader but yardages are naturally reduced with it. I'm fine with whatever. Depends on the tag, I guess.

After all of this, maybe I should go out and do something before any rain comes!

Thanks, everyone!

With the permission of @Dave N and @Big Fin we are changing Dave’s Go Fund Me.

Dave as most of you have read has had a rough start to his retirement with all the care and passing of his wife Lori. We want to help Dave with his healing and forward movement of life in retirement.

Dave has never killed an elk and never thought he would be able to. Let’s make that happen. The goal of changing and opening this back up is that he can get enough funds raised to pay for the hunt with nothing out of pocket. We would like to mirror the HT camps of days old. Similar to the bear hunt, Vet hunt I organized, or the Moose hunt that was done for Cushman. This hunt will take place in 2025 in either MT or WY whichever we can draw him a tag in.

The challenge is Dave has zero points. We will be looking for people to party app with him along with financial donations. I have 8 elk points in Wyoming and will share those but they will likely not be enough to cover a general.

Please consider helping Dave start over his retirement on a positive note.

Thanks Addicting.

Edit: the previous balance of $4995 was spent on Lori’s bills. This thread restarted the old go fund me and the balance is incorrect for this purpose. I cannot edit the amount shown. All donations as of 5-13 are going towards the tag goal. Currently we are at $980 at the time of edit.

Thanks for setting this up. Glad to help w GoFundMe. @Dave N , enjoy the anticipation and preparation!
1717695140719.png

Last edited:
Redneck flatlander leg workout. 80 pounds of cement blocks in my jetsled. Drag around the backyard for 5 minutes and rest for 2. Repeat until near death. :ROFLMAO: Thinking (hoping) for every other day to let me recover. Knee feels pretty good doing it and from the burn I'm getting I should be building strength over time in my legs. Makes me breathe hard as well!

20240607_135911.jpg

Do you have access to a local high school football field with bleachers that you can climb. Don't know if everything is locked up tight these days or not.

Redneck flatlander leg workout. 80 pounds of cement blocks in my jetsled. Drag around the backyard for 5 minutes and rest for 2. Repeat until near death. :ROFLMAO: Thinking (hoping) for every other day to let me recover. Knee feels pretty good doing it and from the burn I'm getting I should be building strength over time in my legs. Makes me breathe hard as well!

View attachment 329026
Get you a muzzy tag for Castle Rock State Park and you'll get all you need exercise-wise. That place is pretty steep, reminded me of home.

View attachment 329026
Bolts in the bottom of the jet sled for wheels on casters? You aren't cheating are you?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkside
Back